Family Day: The 3 Day Weekend that even Valentine's Day can't Compete with!
Family Day is that random holiday in February that falls half a week after Valentine's Day. Best part about Family Day? It requires NO special purchasing, planning, making reservations or gift giving, BUT instead it forces you to spend quality time with family. It's a bonus three day weekend (for most) and there are no rules or regulations or set guide lines as to how you spend it.
Family Day provides you with 24 hours of extra calm, because the day is just that, family day; no time frame, no schedule, no agenda. The only thing that you may have to plan ahead for is groceries, because hours of operation of your local shops may be closed or altered. Just check with those stores by calling ahead or going online to see what they have planned for this holiday Monday regarding closures.
Family Day also means that the kids do not go to school. That means no lunch packing and no schedule planning for parents and if you're extra lucky, your kids may even sleep in!
To prevent the kiddies from getting bored and to save you and your sanity - we have provided you with a wide range of activities that you can do in the region of Kitchener-Waterloo. Check them out below:
KID FRIENDLY Family Day Activities in the Waterloo Region:
- WINTERLOO! Uptown Waterloo's biggest winter festival provides outdoor fun such as skating, ice carving, food/drink vendors, food trucks and Tumblebus ( a school bus filled with monkey bars and crash pads for safe falls and landings)
- Bring on the Sunshine African Festival. Located at Kitchener City Hall from 12pm-5pm. FREE parking. Entrance with a donation! Celebrating the African culture and black history month through food, music and dance!
- Family Day Carnival: located at Descendants Beer and Beverage Co in Kitchener. Family friendly activities, popcorn, board games, face painting and cornhole. Menu items with additional costs and locally brewed craft beer on tap for mom and dad!
- Family Day Skate: located at Waterloo Memorial Recreational Complex- FREE!
- Wild Weather Exhibit: located at Waterloo Region Museum and Doon Heritage Village
- Skate for Hunger: located at Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Complex- bring in a non- perishable food item for the Waterloo Region Food bank and enjoy family time on the ice
- Kitchener Skyzone Trampoline Park: 150 Gateway Park Drive, Kitchener. For just $5- your kids can enjoy 2 full hours of bouncing, jumping, meeting other kids and blowing off any pent up energy! *Edit: Please note this event was to benefit Autism Ontario - as per the website on eventbrite, this event is now full. LINK HERE
- FREE pizza and movie event: located at 508 Riverbend Drive in Kitchener. From 11:30am- 3:00pm watch a pre-screening of Norm of the North starring Rob Schneider and James Corden!
- Chicopee Ski and Summer Resort- provides family fun in correspondence with Winterloo or just spend the day tubing or skiing and enjoying winter!
Getting Outdoors with the Family
Take a hike! Weather permitting of course!
February can be tricky with weather. Bundle up just in case and hit some of the trails that could be located right in your own backyard! You can even bring the dog. It's a great way to reconnect with nature.
Create new memories by taking pictures of family, nature and of the kids having fun! Laurel Creek Conservation Area, Huron Natural Area, Homer Watson park, Grand River Trail, Health Valley Trail and Steckle Woods are all easy to access parks that I, myself have been to with our pup.
If you're feeling slightly more adventurous and the weather is good, here are some of the larger, more well known trails that connect our tri-cities:
- The Kissing Bridge Trailway
- The Iron Horse Trail
- Walter Bean Trail
There are also the parks such as Bingemens and RIM Park that provide indoor and outdoor fun! Check out this regional forest map and get into nature! http://bit.ly/2GhqFC2
Take in a Family Movie
Having a day off from work, and the kids being home from school means that you're all together for roughly 12 hours. Our community is extremely vast and there are many everyday things to do that we may just take for granted. Why not hit the movie theatre with the kids? There are so many new releases and family friendly options, plus who doesn't love movie theatre popcorn?! Am I right!
Download or rent that movie that you all have been dying to watch; whip up some fun snacks and stay in your jammies all day! Here are some locations in the Waterloo Region that are providing FREE movie events on Family Day!
- Family skate and movie at Bridgeport Community Centre, from 2pm to 4pm
- Free movie at Centreville Chicopee Community Centre, from 1pm to 3:30pm
- Family movie and pizza at Doon Pioneer Park Community Centre, from 5pm- 7pm
- Movie Morning to End MS fundraiser at Landmark Cinemas, Kitchener from 8:30am to 11am
- Free family movie "Ice Age: Continental Drift" at the Princess Twin Cinemas, Waterloo on Sunday and Monday from 1pm- 3pm
Get Touristy in KW!
In Waterloo Region, we are fortunate to live close to other amazing small cities and towns. Tourist attractions such as Elora, Elmira and St. Jacobs all offer something to see and do. Shop at the local shops, purchase something hand crafted and have lunch at one of their many restaurants and coffee shops. Here are some of the top choices of each of the above that I would suggest doing:
- Elora: Hike the Elora Gorge and Quarry. Stunning scenic views that will stun any member of your family! Shop downtown- grab lunch and a beer at Elora Brewing Company or take in a day at the Grand River Raceway!
- Elmira: visit the Woolwhich Dam and Resevoir, shop downtown or go bowling at Elmira Bowl!
- St. Jacobs: shop downtown at the gift and specialty shops or at the St. Jacobs outlets. Visit Picards Foods for peanuts, beer nuts or try their amazing corn chip covered nuts! Grab a carefully crafted beer from Bock 3 Brewing Co, or hit some balls at Max's Golf Centre.
Like our suggestions? Don't forget to love this blog and share it with your friends!
Want to know more about our events? Sign up for our mailing list below: